Sport and Sleep Mouth Guards- Protect your radiant smile by shielding your teeth and gums from damage of sports and teeth grinding.
Sport Mouth Guards
While playing sports, it is essential to protect your smile. Mouth guards can help protect your gums and teeth from injuries. The American Dental Association recommends wearing a mouth guard if you participate in any kind of full-contact sport. There are three types of sports mouth guards that are available including:
- Pre-made mouth guard
- Fitted mouth guard
- Custom-made mouth guard
At Dr. Patty’s Dental Boutique & Spa, we offer our clients custom-fitted sport mouth guards that are fitted for comfort and individually designed. Our team will help you choose the right sport mouth guard to ensure the best-
Sleep Mouth Guards
In the United States, headaches are one of the number one pain problems that Americans suffer from. In fact, one in eight Americans suffer from severe headaches and their everyday life is affected because of this according to the American Academy of Craniofacial Pain as mentioned here. While many Americans think that their headaches are related to tension in their muscles, they should in fact consider that this tension may be a result of-
- Dental stresses
- Grinding and clenching
- Sleep Apnea
You may suffer from the effects of tooth grinding if you notice that you clench your teeth or wake up with the following:
- Jaw pain
Many people don’t even realize that they grind their teeth because it usually occurs when you are under stress or when you are sleeping. We’ve even had clients who complain of ringing in the ears, tinnitus, because of grinding or clenching. If you do not correct the issue, you may end up with broken or cracked teeth and it can even lead to loss of teeth, like Demi Moore reported on Jimmy Fallon.
However, if you grind your teeth, there is a non-invasive treatment that you can take advantage of: sleep mouth guards. These are an easy way that you can prevent the damage and wear that grinding can cause over time. When used properly, nearly 90% of clients have noticed that their headache symptoms have disappeared. These guards are custom-made to fit your teeth from soft material that surrounds the teeth and gums, with a hard outer layer. Night guards can be customized to cover anywhere from 2 teeth, 8 teeth or the entire arch which is what people are used to. At night, you simply place your guard over your bottom or top arch and it prevents contact between opposing teeth. Contact us today to schedule a complimentary consultation at our dental boutique and spa to find out which mouth guard is best for you and we will protect your teeth so you can have a radiant smile for years to come!
Sport Mouth Guard Vs Dental Night Guard
Some people are left wondering what the difference is between a dental night guard and a sport mouth guard. Similarly, they may be wondering if they can use their sport mouth guard to prevent teeth grinding at night.
When a client first gets diagnosed with a teeth grinding problem, known as bruxism, there may be a couple of remedies that are suggested to fix the problem. The most popular option is a night guard. Another option is an injection of a neurotoxin such as:
The mouth guard doesn’t exactly stop the grinding or clenching, however by preventing the teeth from touching it does help the client prevent damage to their teeth, but as Botox would relax the muscle, the guard will help relax the muscle in a much slower fashion. Both of these treatments lead to the muscle that allows the grinding to begin to shrink. The night guard is considered to be an oral appliance that is worn at night while sleeping so that it can absorb the force from clenching and grinding. At Dr. Patty’s Dental Boutique & Spa, we will custom-make your dental night guard so that it fits comfortably within your mouth and will not interrupt your beauty rest. This guard is different than a mouth guard that will be recommended if you play full-contact sports. First, they are made with very different materials. Second, they serve very different purposes within your mouth.
Scrutinizing the Material Between Sports Mouth Guard Vs. Dental Night Guard
A night guard will be worn to protect your teeth from grinding and clenching while sleeping as mentioned above. This appliance will be worn every time the client sleeps. For this reason, it is created with a material that is strong yet soft and not very thick.
On the other hand, a sport mouth guard is worn to protect your teeth from being damaged by an accident on the field or from a blow to your face on the court. This appliance is made with thicker material and is made with a much more rubbery material than a night guard is made with. In addition to that, the sports guard is made to cover the entire jaw along with the gum tissue unlike a night guard.
As an athlete, when you have your guard created, you can decide what color it is, if you want a design added to it, or want it to match your uniform. At our dental boutique and spa in Fort Lauderdale, we can help you create and design the mouth guard that will serve its purpose and leave you looking stylish.
Understanding the Function of Your Mouth Guard
Both types of guards are designed to protect your teeth but they do this in different ways. A night guard will protect your teeth from being worn down or damaged from constant clenching and grinding. On the other hand, your sports guard will be worn to protect your teeth from sudden and hard impact.
For these reasons, your night guard will be made from durable hard-acrylic plastic so that it can withstand clenching and grinding over an extended length of time. A sports guard will be made from a softer material that will be able to better absorb the force resulting from a sudden, hard impact. Your sports guard will cover all of your teeth and your gums while a dental guard will only cover the occlusal surface of your teeth.
Choose the Right Mouth Guard for Your Needs
At many sports stores and department stores, you can find sport mouth guards. However, these are different than appliances that are custom-made by your cosmetic dentist. The ones that can be purchased at the store are not only uncomfortable to wear but they are also not as effective as ones designed by our cosmetic dentist.
This type of guard can be used to protect against teeth grinding, but they are not the ideal solution since the shape and material were designed to serve a different purpose. For the best solution to your problem, be sure to find a cosmetic dentist that can professionally create and custom design a mouth guard for you.
Why Choose Dr. Patty’s Dental Boutique & Spa?
- You can enjoy your dental visit with our Relaxed, Upscale Spa-like Atmosphere
- Complimentary wine & Nespresso coffee bar, hot towel service, temple massage therapy, paraffin treatments, music & movie selections
- Convenient hours – Evening and Saturday hours available
- Latest Technology- Such as intraoral cameras making it possible for you to see exactly what is happening in your mouth, for yourself. Advanced Digital x-rays that emit less radiation and is actually a comfortable process. Yes! It doesn’t require that little square to go in your mouth that hurts so much. Instead, the X-ray machine goes around your head.
- Latest Treatments that allow for quick healing after surgery along with services like same-day crowns, gum surgery with no cutting or stitches,
- No metal or amalgam is ever used in our offices
- We can assist clients by arranging their transportation to and from your appointment.
- Multiple Sedation Options Available for a more comfortable and anxiety-free experience including IV Sedation and nitrous.
- Botox treatments under the same roof for both medical and beauty purposes. Can be used to get rid of wrinkles, TMJ and migraines. We also offer Filler to plump cheeks, take away jowl, enhance your lips and rid of nasiolabial folds
- Aesthetic Spa Services Available Onsite. Estheticians available to perform eyebrow shaping, eyelash extensions, microblading, facials, peeps, hydrogen facials, microdermabrasion and more.
- We use state of the art sterilization equipment and processes that are focused on Safety. More importantly it is set up openly for our clients to see.
- Select Insurance and Financing Options Available – Care Credit financing is available for those who qualify and we work with insurance (complimentary benefit check available at your consultation)